Thursday, June 22, 2023

Sitting Bench from Old Table Top

I picked up this table from the curb a year or two ago and the top has been leaning against the garage door since then.  I wanted to make use of it and rid myself of the clutter.  All parts for this project are 1 1/8" thick.  The top is 54" x 15", legs started out 21.5" x 15", stretcher is about 42" (not certain of that length) x 4".  The wood is an unknown species (glue-laminated together) that is native to where they make these tables, most likely Viet Nam or Thailand.

What follows is a pictorial chronicle of the build.

I had used a corner of this tabletop for a stool a few months ago

Ripped off a section for the top and trued one edge before cutting to length
(note the shop stool helping to support the long board)

This is one of two sections that will be the legs (ignore the lighter colored board).
Here I'm using a toothing plane to help get rid of the old finish.

On the top, first penciled then knifed the mortise outlines.
Note the use of the straightedge to extend the range of my 12" combo square.
A panel gauge was used to mark the side-to-side extents of the mortises.

The same panel gauge settings were used to mark the leg tenons

Mortises were excavated using a brace and bit, then chisels

Tenons formed on a leg

A first test fit

Laying out the leg mortises

Bored, then cleaned up with chisels

Leg mortises complete

Getting stretcher shoulder lines directly from top mortises
(this stretcher is still a bit too long)

Dialing in the tenons

First test fit with all components

Rounded the corners of the top and rounded all edges

Leg sides shaped with gentle "S" curve
(used saws, chisel, spokeshaves, scraper)

The half-oval cutout in the bottom of the legs was challenging due to its depth

Rounded over the stretcher's edges and protruding tenons

First view all shaped and assembled

Decided to add a little extra stability where the legs join with the top
using this 1/4" deep housing dado.  This was fussy to get aligned with the mortises.

Glued and in the clamps.  I've had these parallel jaw clamps
for many years, but rarely ever use them any more.

Finish is two coats of milk paint, lightly rubbed with scotch-brite after each coat dried,
followed by 2-3 coats of spar urethane (sanding between coats) for outdoor protection.

Its resting place in a corner of the back yard

Just a little rant here.  The hardware stores no longer carry half-pints of polyurethane-type finishes.  I had the choice of 11 oz. in a spray can for $14 or a quart for $25.  Hating the thought of wasting the unneeded 90% of the quart that would surely harden in its can by the next time I use it, I got the spray can.  Big mistake!  Most of that stuff goes into the air and not on the project.  It barely made one thin coat on the bench.  I had to go back and buy the quart can for further coats.

Rant, part deux.  I hate using this stuff.  It stinks, it's a hassle to clean up after, and it's got far more chemicals than I'd like to subject myself to.  But I know this stuff is probably the best for an outdoor project.

Until next time ...

5 comments:

  1. Looks good. I have concluded that once one joins a woodworking club, there are so many emails about free good wood that I could wood work my entire life without having to purchase any wood. Then there is finding good wood like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Joe. Yeah, I'm the king of repurposing wood (haahaaha). Wish there was a woodworking club closer to here. I joined BAWA several years ago, but they meet in Foster City and the meetings were at a time that made it impossible (without sitting in HORRIBLE traffic) to get there from Mountain View, so I bagged it. Oh, well ...

      Delete
    2. I was doing very good going to the Mt. Diablo's woodworker during Coivd lockdowns as it was virtual via Zoom. Now that that the world has opened up again, it's been nearly impossible for me to attend in person. I get it. Mt. View to Foster City is a decent drive (even without traffic).

      Delete
  2. Looks great. Yeah, I've noticed the same thing about pints and quarts even not available. Silly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, frustrating. Little to no competition anymore, so they can do what they want. Consumer and environment be damned.

      Delete