The stretchers that join the legs were quick to make. Three of the four were 11/16" diameter cylindrical with 3/4" long, 5/8" diameter straight tenons. Square up a piece of wood to 11/16, octagonize, ease the facets with spokeshave and ... done.
The front stretcher only differed in that it bulged to about 1 1/16" in the middle. After squaring a piece to 1 1/16", I used a template to draw the shape, then used drawknife and spokeshave to arrive at a square version of the stretcher. Then octagonal, then roundish.To find the locations of the front and back stretchers, I measured down from the underside of the seat 5 1/2" and made a mark on the legs. Then I stretched a rubber band from front left to front right leg at that 5 1/2" location. I found a center point for boring each leg by measuring between straight portions of the rubber band. The rubber band method also allows you to find the angle for boring.
|A little sanding and, fini|
|Rubber band stretched from one front leg to the other|
(dark wood board is there so you can see the yellow rubber band)
|Getting the angle at which to bore the leg|
The leg boring setup was as seen in the following picture: the leg was held in two cradles and clamped to the benchtop with a holdfast. The sliding bevel was placed in front of the leg and a small round mirror was positioned about a foot behind the leg so I could see how I was doing relative to the angle of the sliding bevel. Another mirror was placed to the left of the leg, with a combination square standing between the mirror and the leg to help judge vertical. While boring with bit and brace, I kept track of both angles using the mirrors. And I used a step stool to get me higher so I would be better able to bore from above.
There was one potential hiccup here. The top end of the leg had already been tapered and that tapered end was placed in the left cradle. The bottom of the leg was still full diameter, so the leg was not clamped horizontally. Therefore, my sliding bevel, which was sitting on the bench top, indicated the wrong angle at which to bore.
|Leg boring setup|
I realized this later, after fitting the stretchers. Turned out not to matter much. It probably changed the boring angle by a couple of degrees, which was probably within my range of variability anyway.
Once the holes were bored, the legs were put into the seat and the lengths for all stretchers were determined using a couple of dowels.
Then that length was transferred to the stretcher, which was cut to length. Tenons were made on the ends of each stretcher using a drawknife. Finally, a test fit of the undercarriage felt very satisfying. It really tightened up the whole thing.
|Two sticks used to find the length of a stretcher|
|First test fit of the seat and undercarriage|
Next time I'll get into the spindles and crest rail.