|The central circle - at first I was going to screw this down, later realized it might
be nice to be able to remove the top, so this part is doweled to the frame without glue
|Stained the ring (and the central circle)
|Also had beveled the underside to make it less noticeable on the finished table
I added feet to the bottom using threaded inserts and foot levelers. To drill holes to the proper depth for the threaded inserts, I made a block that would expose about 9/16" of drill bit. The block also helped me drill square to the foot.
|The block, the insert and the leveler
|Blurry pic of drilling into the bottom of a foot
|Used a piece of threaded rod to install the threaded insert
|It's easy to install them crooked - this helped keep it straight
|Template marking out a slat for the top
|Marking out to get the most of the stock I had
|A good start, but ...
|... did I mention there are a lot of these things?
|Finding the right spacing
|I first glued in the four slats directly above the top supports,
then tested the spacing of the 7 slats between them
|Turns out the width of an old plastic card plus the width of an old business
card gave the right spacing near the central circle
|Slat replaced by template to mark holes
Gluing the slats to the top was interesting. I'll let the pictures tell the story.
|First four slats in clamps
|Next 8 slats could use same method
|Changed clamping approach for all but the last four slats
|Last four slats being glued up.
You just gotta improvise when clamps won't reach the middle
|The top, from above
And for anybody reading this, have a great Holiday!! Next up for me is some family time and then some R&R.