The thing I don't understand is that Orvil Heft was a carver and painter of wooden birds. It's hard for me to imagine that he needed these heavy-use chisels. Perhaps he collected them and didn't use them. Or maybe he had other woodworking interests besides birds. But whatever the case, I wanted to make them nice again to be used every day.
|The three largest - 1 1/2", 1" and 7/8" - are Greenlee bevel edged chisels|
|The five smaller chisels - 3/4", 5/8", 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" (last two not shown) - are D. R. Barton firmer chisels|
|The five largest chisels' handles|
|Right three handles are the remainder|
Removing the old handles was fairly easy. Some were already loose, but some needed several raps on the benchtop to loosen them. I took sandpaper to the metal - 180 grit and 220 grit.
|Four cleaned, four to go|
When they were clean enough, I flattened the backs. This went faster than I thought it might, thanks in part to the extra-coarse diamond stone that I got last year. But it did take a fair amount of time, especially for the wide chisels. Every one had low spots at the edges, possible due to being flattened on dished stones earlier in life.
|Flattening the 7/8" chisel - note the oval scratch pattern,|
showing sides and leading edge were low
|Chip out of the 7/8" chisel|
|7/8" chisel ground straight across ...|
|... but this came at a price - there was a lot of material to remove to grind a new edge|
I'm not set up to do metal work. But I went for it anyway. Lacking layout fluid, I used a Sharpie marker to blacken the flat side and the bevel side near one edge.
|Using Sharpie to lay out the metal to be removed|
|Then used a marking gauge set to about 1/32" to mark a line on the black ink|
|Used a round chainsaw file to cut in to the gauge line as far back as I would remove metal.|
This was just shy of the D.R. Barton logo, which is on the side of the 1/4" chisel
(the logo is on the bevel side of all other sizes)
|Filed to the line|
|Peak in middle after filing from both directions to the layout line|
|Then I marked the edges and filed the middle, trying not to remove the black marker all the way to the edges.|
|Here's the result: from 1/4" wide to 3/16" wide (flat side shown)|
|Side view: logo untouched, but over-filed a bit near the start of the step-down|
Next time I'll write about the re-handling.