Thursday, June 15, 2023

Shop Tip: Vise Chop Markings

A few weeks ago, I replaced the worn out plywood "chops" on my front vise with hardwood chops lined with cork.  I find it helpful to mark a couple of lines on the top edges of the chops.  The lines mark the outside edges of the guide bars that are a few inches below.

Pointing to one of the marked lines

Closer view

How they're located: blade of the square is touching the guide bar

This way, when I need to clamp a workpiece vertically in the vise, I can butt the piece against the guide bar and align the piece with the marks on the chop.  This ensures the workpiece is (very nearly) perpendicular to the benchtop.

It's perpendicular to the bench, but not exactly vertical due to
the garage floor sloping at about a 1-2° angle

Here's another one.  On the cork that lines the vise chops I've marked a series of lines at 30° to the horizontal top of the vise.  For a tool that is challenging to sharpen, this can help.  When I line up the tool with the marked lines, the tool's bevel will be approximately horizontal, making it easier to hone the bevel.

Marking 30° lines on the rear chop

Clamped an incannel gouge along one of those lines

This makes sharpening the incannel gouge less difficult

I've found these to be helpful time-savers; hopefully you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment