To tighten up the mouth, I searched the internet and once again Bob Rozaieski came through for me. Bob often seems to have the information I need and that's why I support him on Patreon. His post from May of 2017 on Wooden Plane Throat Geometry showed exactly what I was looking for. And though his post was about smoothing planes, he told me the same ideas hold for larger wooden planes.
This time I made my plane blank from poplar. After sawing off and planing the sides, I cut the main body apart. I used a 45° bed angle, a 60° breast angle and a wear angle of 100°. But this time, the wear is taller.
|Left side of plane is removed, bed is to right and breast and wear are to the left|
|Notice how short the wear was on the first prototype|
|Here I've moved the breast/wear section of the main body to the left, revealing|
the overall shape of the abutment recess
After that I made a wedge and planed it to fit. I shortened it a little bit at the small end so that it would not run into the "wear" portion of the abutment recess.
|Fore section of main body removed to show fitted wedge|
|Here's a close-up shot of the wedge (right) extending just to the wear section of the abutment recess|
|The body and sides are taped together from below to prevent moving while gluing together|
|You can see the mouth opening at bottom of the throat.|
It came out just about how I wanted it.
|Here's the mouth from the sole - fairly tight, but allows thick shavings to pass through|
|Copying the tote shape from the #4 1/2|
|The paper template|
|Used the template to transfer the shape to a 1" thick piece of poplar|
|Then cut and shaped as best as I could. This was time-consuming, but was a lot of fun.|
I chopped the mortise and pared the walls very carefully and got a great fit. Then glued the tote in with hide glue and let it dry.
|Gluing in the tote|
|Added the "eyes" at top of throat, which make it a lot more comfortable when retrieving shavings|
|The top, rear edge was rounded over, approx 3/8" radius|
|All other top edges were chamfered, 3/8" on sides and 5/32" on top.|
And a stopped chamfer was extended down all four vertical edges about 1 1/4"
|Prototype #2 all done|