Thursday, June 8, 2023

PAST Tool Meet 03 June

This past weekend I attended the Spring tool show put on by PAST Tool Collectors (formerly Preserving the Arts and Skills of the Trades).  As always, there were some great people, great tools and great deals.  Tools from all trades can be seen here, but there is typically more woodworking stuff than other trades.

Closest table: axe heads, router planes, chisels, braces, planes, much more.
Middle table: planes, auger bits, and yes, that's a small furnace in the middle

Closest table: look at that lineup of planes!
Middle table: specializes in various spokeshaves, but many other tools as well
Rear table: hammers, lots of hammers!

There was a woman and her husband who traveled down from Seattle to disburse her father's collection of hammers.  This was a crazy collection!  Hundreds of hammers!  Big hammers, small hammers, ball peen hammers, cross peen hammers, claw hammers, double claw hammers, tack hammers, extendo poster tack hammers, axe heads with hammer head on the other side, crow-bar hammers, hammers of every description and for so many different trades.  There was even a decorative glass hammer!

A small sample of the hammers in that collection
$5 each or 5 for $20!

After lunch there was an auction.  There were about 25-30 boxes of tools to be auctioned off.  Most boxes sold for between $5 and $25 - a steal.  The first dozen boxes were hammers - probably from that collection I mentioned earlier.

Three of the many boxes of hammers in the auction

But there were many other things to be found: saws, planes, and lots of tools I had no clue about.

This box was loaded with rabbet planes (at least 3 different model numbers),
many missing the fence and fence rods, but still ...

For my own part, I came away with just a couple small things.  Recently I wrote about finding a protractor head for a combination square, so for $5 at the show I bought a 12" rule to mate with it.  This way I won't have to change out the blade from my Starrett combo square when using the protractor head.  Then later I saw a centering head for a combination square and for $13 it was mine.  Now I've got all the heads for a combination square and these should be a nice addition.

No markings on the centering head, but the seller said it's a Starrett.
The rule is by Fulton, straight and true

Assembled

It was a great tool show.  Not as huge as a M-WTCA show, but a really nice show.  Can't wait for the next one.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could have gone. I had three other events on that day that I went to. Just couldn't squeeze in this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was probably about 2 hours from you, so tough to fit in with your other stuff. Maybe see you at the next one, though I'm not sure yet where it will be - probably Ripon or Sonoma.

      Delete
    2. Sonoma is always beautiful. I've never spent the day in Ripon. Ripon would be fun to explore. Sounds like good options either way.

      Delete