|Dovetail glamour shot|
The first coat was of a thinned grey, applied with a foam brush, thin enough for the wood grain to show through - not a lot, but a little. After it was dry, it was sanded lightly with 320 grit paper.
|First coat of paint|
|Left side - you can still see the grain running vertically|
|Light blue added|
|Pulls finally installed|
|The table in its new home|
|Ta da ...|
I kept a log of the time spent on this project and here are a couple of statistics. These are approximations, as each day I wrote down a rough estimate of how much time was spent on different aspects of the project. I didn't include design and drawing, which probably took 5-10 hours. Or the painting and topcoat, which probably took a few hours.
Total time: 178 hours
Percent of that in stock prep: 32% (far less than I had thought)
Percent of that in layout/joinery: 46%
Percent of that in glue-ups: 4%
Percent of that in finishing: 3%
Percent of that in other aspects: 15% (Fitting drawers, shellac, foot prototyping and making)
I've got to get faster at this. Now it's time to get to some other things.