Thursday, August 11, 2022

Calculating Radius of a Cambered Iron

So you want to add a camber to a plane iron and don't happen to have a round object with the curvature you're looking for.  In this post, I'll use geometry to figure out the radius so you can draw the arc with a compass.  I know, for some people I'm overcomplicating this, but for this analytically minded woodworker, it works.

This came up for me last week when I did some maintenance on a wooden jack plane.  After sharpening many, many times, the curvature of the iron wasn't as it should have been, so I set it right.  I needed to figure out the radius of curvature that would give me a 1/16" bulge on an iron that was 2 3/16" wide.  By the "bulge", I mean the amount the camber extends further than the corners of the iron.

For this blog post, I'll simplify the math by using a 2" iron width.

Artist's rendition of a 2" wide plane iron with 1/16" bulge

Closeup of the business end

I've labeled two points on this picture: Y is the right corner of the iron and Z is the point at the center of the iron directly over from Y.  The "bulge" is 1/16", the amount past Z that the iron extends.

In the next pic, I've drawn a circle whose curvature matches the camber of the iron.  The point labelled X is the center of the circle.  Also drawn is a line from X to Y, and since Y is on the circle, segment XY is a radius of the circle.

Circle drawn that matches curvature of the camber

Zooming in again, we see a triangle formed by XYZ.

Triangle XYZ

We have enough information now to calculate the radius of the circle, and from that, we can draw a template of the camber to be transferred to the iron to guide grinding and sharpening.

Triangle XYZ is a right triangle.  The Pythagorean theorem tells us that YZ^2 + ZX^2 = XY^2.  (Read "^2" as "squared".)

XY is the radius of the circle: I'll call it R.

YZ is half the width of the iron, in this example 1".

ZX is slightly less than a radius, by 1/16", so ZX = R-(1/16).

So we get:   1^2 + (R - 1/16)^2 = R^2

Simplifying: 1 + R^2 - (1/16) R - (1/16) R + (1/16)^2 = R^2

Simplifying: 1 -(1/8) R + (1/256) = 0

Simplifying: 1+(1/256) = (1/8) R

And finally: R = 8 * (1 + 1/256) = 8  1/32"


In the case of my jack plane, the iron is 2 3/16" wide and the calculation came out to give a radius R =  9.6" ( I rounded to 9 5/8").


If one wanted to extend this to any bulge (call it B) and any width iron (call it W), then the formula comes down to:

R = ((W/2)^2 + B^2)/2B

I know this is not for everybody.  In fact, it's probably a lot easier to simply draw an arc using a nail, a string and a pencil, changing the string length until you get the right bulge on the arc.  But I like the analytical approach.  Math has served me so well over the years.

4 comments:

  1. I used the formula for chords - 2*square root (r^2-d^2)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember there were formulae for chords. I don't know them, but I'll look them up. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. The height of the segment of line above the chord is the Sagitta and there are on line calculators if you don’t care to develop the math yourself.
    As here:
    https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/sag.htm

    Now go figure the depth of hollow grinding on a plane iron using a 6” vs 8” grinding wheel. Do this before buying an 8” grinder and find out that the “gurus” are overstating the benefit and maybe save yourself some money.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete