Thursday, January 21, 2021

Don't Be Afraid to Rehab Those Old Tools

Some collectors talk about maintaining an old tool in as unchanged condition as possible.  Not being a collector, I like the tools that I have to be users.  In November of 2019, I wrote about becoming the new owner of a Sandusky Tool Co. #92 round plane.  Its catalog number is "92", size "8"; the iron is 1 1/8" wide.

Sandusky #92 round, used to cut a 1 1/8" radius hollow

"92" was their catalog number for non-skewed round planes

While trying to put off projects that I should really get to, I decided to rehab the plane.  The sole and iron were not all that close to the shape they should be.  So the first thing to do was to mark on the toe and heel a vertical line 5/8" from the left side of the plane.  Then mark an arc with 1 1/8" radius close to the sole.

Marking the proper shape for the sole

After planing the sole to these marks, I started on the iron, marking the shape of the sole on the iron with it installed in the plane.

Colored the flat face of the iron with a red sharpie and then marked the sole shape with a scribe

This is not the result of the above marking:
I had done this earlier to get an idea of what I was up against.
You can see how out of shape the iron's edge was.

It took a bit of grinding and honing to get the iron to match the shape of the sole.  But after a few iterations, the shape was right and I sharpened and polished the iron.

The iron gleaming

Here's the sole and iron all cleaned up ...

... and here's the shape it cuts - nice and clean with a sharp iron

Well, I may never need a 1 1/8" radius hollow cut into a workpiece, but if and when I do, I'm all set to go.  [Update: I actually used it this week to hollow the outside of an experimental box I'm making.]

I didn't do much to this plane, so you collectors out there can breath easier (not that this plane is all that collectible).  But for the rest of us, if you've got a tool that can be put back into use, don't be afraid to alter it.  These tools want to be used!

13 comments:

  1. I have a boatload of irons that need to be matched to soles. What did you use specifically to grind the shape of the iron? How difficult was it to establish the new bevel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ralph. I used the hand-cranked grinder for the basic shape, then more on the grinder to get the bevel in better shape. It was fairly easy to do - maybe because of the relatively large size of this iron. I've had trouble with smaller irons.

      Delete
    2. I saw Matt Bickford using a standard electric grinder to shape a new blank for a round (during a class). If memory serves, I'm pretty sure it was a typical wheel. Also pretty sure he said that he uses a narrow wheel with a rounded edge for hollows. The class was to make a round. The hollow was homework (mine is still incomplete).

      Delete
    3. Hi Jeff. Yeah, maybe that's where I saw something similar - using a 1/4" thick grinding wheel that had been shaped with a round edge to grind the bevels of hollow irons. Sure wish I could find a 1/4" wheel with a 1" bore to fit on my grinder. I completely struck out with that when I looked a couple years back.

      Delete
  2. I have a bunch of old woodies that remains to be rehabbed. How difficult was to plane the round sole to a proper shape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lionel. For this plane I just used a #4 smoother. I don't think I even scraped it after that. It was very easy, but the key for me was to mark lines to plane down to. I'm sure a hollow plane or one with complex shape would need a dedicated scraper. I hope you get a chance to work on those old woodies.

      Delete
  3. Great job and as a collector err I meant user, I approve :-)
    Tools are meant to be used

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! They were made for one purpose - work!

      Delete
    2. (But it may not hurt to show them off once in a while ...)

      Delete
  4. I like to see good rehabbing to extend the life of well made handtools. The distinction between what is collectible or not is arbitrary and needless. A tool is made to be used and can have a history to which you have added

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt,

    "While trying to put off projects that I should really get to..." I've been there too many times. Good to see the restoration from a dust collector to a worker.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken. I'd been thinking about you lately and wondered where you've been after not hearing anything for a while. Hope all's well your way. Don't let those tools become dust collectors.

      Delete