Monday, November 18, 2019

Tools from the PAST Show

I have a short list of things I look for when I go to tool shows.  This past weekend I went to a tool show that was put on by PAST Tool Collectors and came home with three items, two of which were on my list.  The third item was a raffle prize.
My new items
I've really gotten interested in wooden planes and love using them whenever I can.  What I'm really looking for are books on making wooden planes.  But this book was there and I couldn't help pick it up.
1978 Book by Alvin Sellens
The book covers planes made by American plane makers on a commercial basis.  It doesn't describe how to make the planes, but it does give a description of many types of planes.  I think it will be a nice resource to have.
The TOC shows what types of planes are covered in the book
Next is a little bullnose plane, a Stanley #75.  I'd seen this plane at previous shows, but didn't pick it up.
Stanley #75
Unless you happen to know about this particular plane, there's no way to know what it is.  Aside from the masking tape label, there is no indication anywhere on it that it is a #75.  I did a little research on the #75 and unfortunately I've read a few sources that don't give it high marks.  But I'll be rehabbing it sometime soon and will try my best to get it in working order.  That will be the subject of a future post.

Finally, I had a winning ticket in the raffle and my prize was this moulding plane by Sandusky Tool Co.
Sandusky Tool Co. round plane, catalog #92
Front end
There is clearly a number "92" stamped on the front.  Interestingly, the 92 is upside down when the plane is held in it's normal upright position.  I got to use the Sellens book here.  It has a cross-reference table for the catalog numbers of three makers for similar planes.  It shows that the Sandusky catalog number for hollows and rounds was #92.

On the back end of the plane is the number 8.
Heel end of the plane
What the "8' means is anybody's guess.  Planemakers didn't have a common numbering system for their lines of H&R planes.
The iron is 1 1/8" wide
This iron seems badly out of proper shape with far too much curvature at the outside edges.  I'll have to look into this plane as time permits.  I may not ever have a need for a round with 1 1/8" radius, but I'd still like to get it into working condition.  I'll post on that when the time comes ...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, that book by Sellens is a classic among collectors. Although dated it is still a valuable reference. If you want books on making planes, ill see what I got and let you know what I have and what I think of them. Funny I just got a Stanley No 75 too, came with my No 78 package recently. Never had a chance yet to clean it and etc, but it turn is coming soon. Ill blog on it when. It may me small and was inexpensive, but it is a good tool to have.
    That Sandusky No 92 is a good one also. See https://thevalleywoodworker.blogspot.com/2015/10/sizing-up-hollow-rounds-moulding-planes.html

    Bob, working on my to do list Vol 2, page 56 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that older post of yours, Bob. It confirmed what I had read about various numbering systems. Also good to see that one of your numbering systems showed a #8 with a 1 1/8" wide iron, so I guess the "8" on the back of my plane was not just an errant mark.

      As far as planemaking books are concerned, I'm aware of one by John Whelan, "Making Traditional Wooden Planes". If you have that (or others), I'd love to know what you think of it (or the others).

      Delete