Thursday, January 23, 2020

Side Table, Part 8: Drawer Details, Top and Finishing Up

The drawers fit into their openings pretty well right after the glue-up, but there was still some work to do.  The top two drawers needed a little planing on the upper edge of their left side to slide more smoothly into the back of their recesses.

I added stops so that the drawers won't slide too far into the cabinet.  It was helpful to remove the drawer bottoms so that I could mark where the stops should be glued down.  I slid the drawer slowly into the opening and got it flush with the cabinet front, then marked a pencil line behind the drawer front.
First drawer stops installed
Had to be creative in clamping the stops for the bottom drawer as the feet got in the way of spring clamps
After the drawers were fitted, I planed up stock for the top.  The stock started out just over 4/4 thick and after planing the glued-up top, it was a hair over 7/8" thick.  Notice that the grain is running in the direction of the shorter dimension.  The cabinet is about 18" wide and 24" deep.  This way, end grain will be along the sides of the top.  I thought about this orientation a lot.  Since the cabinet sides are solid panels (not frame and panel) with grain oriented vertically, the top will not have a cross-grain problem with the sides.
Choosing the show face and alignment, planed those surfaces true
Top glued up and in clamps - underside shown here 
 I had wanted to put a progressive radius round-over around the edges (with a fillet on top), but the wife nixed that in favor of a simple underside chamfer.  I used a scrub plane and smoother to create it.
Marking for the chamfer
I like how it came out
I'll be attaching the top with two screws through each of the three top rails.  This was an interesting exercise.  I had not made any allowance in the top rails for this before installing them.
An earlier picture showing the three top rails
Drilling the holes from above was not the problem - countersinking the holes on the underside of these top rails was the problem.  With good advance planing, I would have drilled holes and countersunk them before the rails were installed.  At first I used a countersink bit with my fingers, and while this worked, it was slow and hurt my fingers.  So I tried making a countersink from a screw that could be twisted and pulled from above with a drill.
Filed three cutting facets on the screw head, put the screw through the hole from below,
then chucked the threaded end in the drill and pulled up while spinning.
That worked, but not well.  What worked better was using a combination pilot-hole-and-countersink bit that had a hex shank with a socket wrench to provide the twist motion.
The solution was still slow, but much faster than the others I tried
I realize that an alternative to countersinking the screw heads is to cut away little notches on the top edge of the drawer back so that the drawer could slide under the screw heads.  But I really preferred to have the screws countersunk.

Anyway, with that done I finally attached the top and had a look at the overall cabinet for the first time.
First look - drawer fronts have one coat of shellac
I really wanted to make wooden drawer pulls for this cabinet and I had made a prototype, but the wife has a specific idea of what she wanted.  So drawer pulls have been ordered and should be here in a day or two.  My wife is going to paint this cabinet gray, then wipe on another color, with incomplete coverage to give a streaky effect.  She painted that mini chest of drawers that I made last year similarly, so I think it will look good.  But first I'm going to seal the wood with a couple coats of shellac.
First coat of shellac going on
Not sure when the painting will be done, but I'll put up a couple final pics when it's complete.  I'm really glad this is finished.  I've been working on it for over two months!  I'm still quite slow and I think about 60-70% of the time is spent on stock preparation.  Now I can finally get to some other things.

9 comments:

  1. Very well done! Don't talk to me about being slow, I am not done yet and still apply some coats of finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lionel. It may take a long time, but at least we enjoy the journey.

      Delete
  2. The countersink cramped confines conundrum.
    [I tried linking an online image]
    I've been using these with a taper shaft adapter and brace but they can also be used with a socket drive and adapter.
    I want to also know how you decided on where to place the drawer stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could have seen your link to know what the "cccc" solution was. As far as the drawer stop locations, laterally I made them 2 or 2.5" from the sides of the cabinet and front to back I placed them in two ways. First, with the drawer bottom removed, I closed the drawer and flushed up its front with the cabinet front. Then penciled a line behind the drawer front on the drawer-dividing rails. To check this line, I also placed the (unglued) stops forward of that line, then inserted the drawer and slowly pushed it closed until it was flush with the front of the carcase. That pushes the stops to the exact right place. Then remove the drawer, mark the location and glue them in that spot. Not certain if that was what you were asking, but there it is ...

      Delete
  3. Very nice.

    - Notches in the drawer back might have been mechanically functional but if the drawer is stuffed with (woolen?)cloth (don't ask), the screw head might catch the cloth. And sometime you want to grab something at the back of the drawer with your bare hands without fully opening it. So wise decision.

    - I will remember the pilot-hole with countersink trick.

    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about things grabbing the screw head, Sylvain. My wife plans to keep camera equipment in these drawers, so fabric getting caught is not an issue. But I don't want anybody's hand getting scratched on the screw head either.

      Delete
  4. When I did my first drawer (Paul Sellers'workbench customisation) I used a marking gauge set to the front drawer thickness to know where to put the drawer stops. Where possible, marking as you did is a clever idea.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a marking gauge is a good option too. When I try to set a marking gauge to the thickness of a workpiece, I'm never certain if I'm setting it just right. But it should be close enough.

      Delete