Thursday, October 25, 2018

Curio Cabinet, Part 1a: Another Joint

In the first post about the curio cabinet, I experimented with a few different types of joinery for the door.  I've procrastinated long enough that I came across another joint that I think will be better than the others.  Sellers just put out a video on the mitered bridle joint and, while it's not perfect for my application, I think it's better than my other choices.
Front view of joint - all you see is a miter
In this joint, the stile is simply a bridle mortise with one side (the front part, inn my case) of the bridle mitered.
The stile
The rail has the tenon and the bottom shoulder is like any standard rectangular tenoned part.  But the top shoulder is mitered.
The rail
When assembled, the back of the joint looks like an ordinary bridle.
Back side of the joint
I have two things that complicate this joint.  First, I'm adding a bead to the inside edge of all members, which is not a problem at all.  But second, I'm adding a rabbet on the back side for the glass to fit inside.  With the dimensions I'm shooting for, the rabbets on both the stiles and rails need to be stopped rabbets.
The stopped rabbet on the rail
The stopped rabbet on the stile
Stopped rabbets are easy and fun to cut with a chisel and mallet.  I'm planning to put a pane of glass in the sides of the cabinet too, but I'll be using another method of construction there.  More on that later.

4 comments:

  1. This joint will give a larger gluing surface ( X 1.5) than the "option 1" showed on your 14 September post.
    The miter on the front is more elegant than the usual straight stile and rail.
    gluing surface:
    option 1: 1 unit
    option 2: 2 unit
    option 3: 1.5 unit
    Option 1 is out, I guess.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvain. The glue surface and how it will look are my main concerns.

      Delete
  2. That would be the traditional joint, I've seen the most in that type of doors. Good job on it, I'm almost jealous :-)

    Bob, with Rudy on his lap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Bob. Good to know about the traditionally used joint. I don't know much about that - gotta make it up as I go.

      Delete