Monday, October 22, 2018

A Few Estate Sale Items

This blog has been silent for a while - between travel and being sick and generally getting out of my "groove", I had plenty of excuses.
View from Observation Point in Zion Nat'l Park, UT
I was out running errands Friday when I saw a sign for an estate sale.  The owner had been an engineer and had been into so many different things - electronics, model trains, photography - unfortunately woodworking was not one of those things.  But he did some minor woodworking to support the train habit.

You never know what you might find.  There are lots of things that are useful across multiple hobbies.  I picked up just a few things.
A few estate sale items
First, there are two 6" steel rules, one from Starrett and one from Lufkin.
Starrett #607R and Lufkin #2207R
Anybody out there know what the "R" is for on the model numbers?

I love this next item - it reminds me of an old metal pencil sharpener that we had in my house when I was a kid.  It's by "Boston".  I already have a pencil sharpener, but it's made of plastic and I can see the Boston will become the user right away.  It even had two of the three screws needed to attach it to a wall inside the shavings drum.
Boston pencil sharpener
The next item will come in handy at tool shows: it's a small lighted magnifier.  It takes two AAA batteries and one had leaked and messed up the inside a bit.  But after a cleaning and new batteries, it works fine.  The white button on top actuates the light, which is on the back
Called the "Scanner", the pouch had the name "Triplett" on it
I couldn't find any info online about Triplett as a manufacturer of lighted magnifiers, so I can't be certain whether the pouch and magnifier are made by the same company.  But the magnifier fits so well in the pouch and I found them in the same drawer.  Who knows ...

Finally, there was the saw seen in the first picture.  It's a model K-1 12" backsaw made by Disston for Keystone and has a "Warranted Superior" medallion.  It's not old enough to have an etching on the plate, but you can see some of the inked design.  I can see it better in person than in my pictures show.
The printed "etch" (there's got to be a more correct term for this)
In this pic, you can see better the "Keystone" lettering and the "K-1" inside the keystone shape
This saw has a steel spine, though other similar saws I've seen had brass backs, possibly brass plated.
My best guess is this saw is from the 60's or 70's.

I'll give more info on this saw when I post about it's future rehab.  For a better picture of the "etch", you can see what I think is the same saw on Lumberjocks here.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Matt.

    Great finds. I especially like the pencil sharpener.
    I have zero idea about the designation "R" on the rules, but could it be something like which accuracy class or tolerance they were made to?

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wondered about maybe the scale reading right to left vs. left to right. But it looks like Martin's comment below has the answer.

      Delete
  2. The R has to do with the scale printed on the rulers. Ill get back to you shortly
    Triplett was an electronic and electrical tester company, at least that is what I remember of them
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob. I had found some info on Triplet (with one "t" at the end of the name) magnifying loupes. But nothing about Triplett with two t's. That's what's hanging me up.

      Delete
  3. The suffix "R" designates quick reading graduations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I wonder what makes them "quick" reading.

      Delete
  4. Martin is right about the Starrett one, R stand for quick reading. What makes it so, is the variable height of the divisions, more like a wave than a comb.
    On the Lufkin one, they also make models with a suffix L.
    Normally 4R means all four edges (2 on each sides) have markings.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, thanks. I've seen 6" steel rules with the short end (3/4" wide) graduated. I love that, but have never had one like that. Would make it easier to set, for instance, depth of router plane.

      Delete
  5. That's what I thought, Triplett is an electrical testers company see
    https://triplett.com/

    I have used their meters back in the days of VTVMs.
    Ouch, I'm dating myself :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete