|The two tapered reamers|
|Smaller reamer markings|
|Made in USA, EX V5|
The larger of the two reamers has the following markings:
|1/4 to 1 1/4 ATCO|
|Made In USA|
|Not sure if this was original or stamped by an owner|
|Ten spiraling flutes|
|Marking a center and drawing a 1" diameter circle|
|Then boring a 1/2" diameter hole|
|Then turning the bit in the hole with a brace|
|A closer view|
So I decided to sharpen it freehand. At first I tried a small file, but found out quickly that wasn't going to work. Fortunately I have a diamond paddle and this helped a lot.
|One flute showing cutting edge and trailing edge|
I basically just winged it here, realizing the importance of the leading edge and trying to file appropriately.
|One of ten flutes sharpened - now for the other nine|
|All done. I kept at it until I could feel a sharp-ish leading edge|
|Stopped to clean out the dust every 10-20 turns|
|Cut just to the layout line|
|Close-up of the tapered hole shows fairly clean sides - |
a little rougher at 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock to the grain direction
Now I just need to figure out how to make tapered tenons without a lathe! That'll be the next post.