A couple weeks ago, I went to a meeting of an organization called PAST (Preserving Arts and Skills of the Trades). At one time they were the West Coast branch of EIAI, the Early American Industries Association, but they are no longer affiliated with them.
Anyhoo, it was a fun half-day in the thriving metropolis of Spreckels, CA (yes, Spreckels). And I came home with a few new tools.
|Four new tools, total cost: $60|
|Not bad for $3|
|Little sliding square|
|Wasn't sure that "L.S.S. Co." was Starrett, but the Athol, Mass. confirmed it|
|Just five parts|
|Thumb nut and spring|
Up until now I've been building stuff with just a single bevel gauge (or is that called a bevel square? or a sliding T-bevel?). When I built my version of Nana's Dining Chair, I needed to keep track of four different angles. So I drew those angles on my benchtop, referencing off the front edge. Every time I needed one of the angles, I reset the bevel gauge from those written on the bench. And the 8" bevel gauge that I had was nothing great - some unknown brand from Woodcraft or similar store.
|Unknown brand above, old (but new to me) unknown brand (probably Stanley) below|
|Wing nut higher than the surface of the handle|
|A much better thought-out mechanism on this rosewood tool|
|Pretty sure that says "PAT. SEPT 4 1877"|
UPDATE: From the site "oldtooluser.com", this looks to be a Stanley #25, manufactured between 1877 and 1897. I've also recently seen Mr. Traut's name on Stanley patents.
The gauge needed a little work. First, the locking mechanism should lock with the lever nut within the recessed area of the handle.
|Lever nut extends too far when locking the blade|
|But this is easily fixed with a slight turn of the nut on the other side|
|Pin on right a little proud of surface|
|The screw with double threads, also has flats filed on both sides at one end|
|Parts of locking mechanism|
|Lever nut and its hole|
So I spent some time with scrapers and sandpaper, and checked progress with squares and winding sticks to try to get this in better shape.
I used an overnight citric acid bath to clean up the screw and 10" blade. The blade is quite pitted, but at least it looks a bit better now.
|All cleaned up and ready to go|
|Irwin expandable boring bit will cut up to 3" diameter holes|
|Close-up of the mechanism. A screw on back locks it in place.|
New tools ready to be put to use. Yay!