|Rough marking of the miters|
|Shooting the miter|
|Paper shims wrap over the top edge of the fence|
For shaping, a large chamfer was formed on the inside edges. The chamfer was 3/4" wide and 3/8" deep. A marking gauge line would still be seen after the chamfer is cut, so to mark the guide lines I used the Incra 6" marking template and a 1/2 mm mechanical pencil. I don't use this template a lot, but it is fantastic and comes in really handy at times.
|Marking the 3/4" width of the chamfer|
|Chamfer area marked|
|Added extra pencil lines to know better when to stop planing|
|Getting close to the lines|
|Showing how the part was held in the vise|
For the outside edge of each piece, a 3/16" bead was cut using the Lee Valley grooving plane and beading iron.
|Beading the outer edge|
|This gave a nice looking profile|
|Rehearsing on the prototype|
|Clamping blocks: 3/16" plywood with 45° block glued on and sandpaper adhered to bottom|
|You can see how these blocks are used|
|The ruler shows the direction of clamping force - directly perpendicular to the mitered faces|
When the glue had dried sufficiently, splines were glued into the corners to shore them up. I used my widest kerf backsaw to cut the slots so it would be easier to make the splines.
|This is a bad saw, but came in handy for a ~0.050" kerf|
|Dangerous and didn't work that well|
|Planing the splines|
|Marked the bottom, then squared the line to the two sides|
|Sawed the kerfs at a slight angle|
|Glued in the splines|
|Cut away the bulk of the waste with a knife, and planed flush later|
|Shellac dissolving in alcohol|
|On the drying "racks"|
|Here's a typical corner. Happy about how they came out.|
|The final product|
Now it's time for a little R&R. We're leaving tomorrow morning for Valley of Fire (just east of Las Vegas) and Death Valley, where it's going to be in the mid 90's. Yowzah!