A neighbor of mine is an artist. Some time back we hatched a plane where I commissioned him to do two paintings and I would make frames for them. This is for my wife's upcoming birthday. I made a mock-up of the frame from a 2x4, which came out great. So I plunked down some cash for a nice cherry board to make two frames.
The pictures are 16 3/4" x 21" and with matting the inside dimensions of the frames need to be 19 1/4" x 23 1/2". The frame parts are going to be 1 1/2" wide and 1 1/4" thick, so overall length of the pieces need to be 26 1/2" for the long (horizontal) members and 22 1/4" for the short members.
|Marking locations of knots or other defects to try to avoid them|
|Cross-cut to length + a little extra|
|Ripping to rough width|
|Long frame members wrapped up|
BTW, that's the mock-up 2x4 frame behind the wrapped frame members. I was very happy with how it turned out and how easily it planed. Here's a closer look at the profile.
|3/16" bead on outside edge, 3/4" wide by 3/8" deep chamfer on inside|
|Parts laid out|
|Put top and bottom together and marked the triangle|
|Put the sides together and marked their triangle|
|After gauging the lines for the 3/4" x 5/8" rabbet, I made it even more clear|
|The Record rabbet plane with tape to keep my fingers safe|
|The planing setup|
|Not exiting as they should|
|The other side|
This is a BIG rabbet, 3/4" x 5/8", so there was a lot of material to remove and it took a very long time. I got a decent result, or so I thought.
|The leading end stayed pretty close to the lines|
|The other end drifted off the vertical and horizontal lines (a little torn grain at very end, too)|
|A swollen California river could fit under there!|
|Squaring with a shoulder plane|
Although the results looked very nice in the end, this took so long and the results were less than spectacular that I tried other options. I have an ECE moving fillister plane that's been in a drawer for a while, so I tried it out.
|The ECE plane|
|And an action shot|
|Holy crap! And that's after just a few strokes!|
|Starting the rabbet with the chisel|
|I hammer in the mor-or-ning, I hammer in the evening ...|
I also tried using a saw to cut the walls of the rabbet, but that wasn't happening. Too much risk of catastrophic error. I might try it again later, though.
When I used the Record plane on the mock-up frame, sometimes the shavings came flying out of the plane like they should. Other times they just clogged. This takes a long time and a lot of effort when the plane doesn't clear properly. I spent most of the day yesterday cutting four (count 'em - four!) rabbets and I still have four more to do. I'm going to stick to the Record plane and try to make some adjustments to see if I can get it working better. I better make it quick - I've got a deadline coming up fast!