It's also been a real challenge to try to explain the angles. I'll apologize up front for the lack of clarity in the text. Hopefully the pictures will help.
In November I experimented with angled dovetails, making a step stool. But that was a different type of angled dovetail. This time I'm joining four corners where each side is splayed out at 20°. When I posted about the step stool I mentioned the YouTube video by "Half-Inch Shy" and that really helped me in this build. But there is something that he didn't cover in that video (or a follow-up video) that had me scratching my head for quite a while. I'll get to that later.
There are a lot of angles to keep track of in this project. I only have one bevel gauge (and it's not even a good one), so I mark the angles on the top of my workbench, referencing off the front edge.
|The four angles I need for this build|
|Scribing the angle onto the tail board|
|A previously knifed 20° line and the bevel gauge at the scribed pencil line|
|Dovetail marker registering on a square to draw in DT layout|
|Tails laid out on one face|
With the DTs laid out on the face, you can't just square these lines across the end grain because of the splay angle. To get the proper angle to mark the end grain, you need to draw a line parallel to the bottom edge of the boards and capture that angle with a bevel gauge (referencing the stock of the bevel gauge on the angled end of the board) to transfer it to the tail board end grain. This is one of the keys to this method: the pin board layout lines are parallel to the benchtop so that with both boards on the benchtop the pin board can just slide right into the tail board recesses.
|Line parallel to the benchtop to get tails board end grain layout angle|
|Tails cut - front to back the cuts are not square to the face|
|Marking pin board end grain|
|The joint after a little fitting|
|And after a little clean-up|
|View from above|
With a couple of test joints cut, on it was to the real project. I used oak approximately 5/16" thick.
|Holding boards at proper splay|
|Made an impromptu shooting board for the edge bevel|
|Beveling one edge|
|Monitoring progress with pencil lines|
|Lines almost gone|
|And we're done|
|Top view of one corner before layout|
This is where I didn't get any pictures, but at least I showed my test joints earlier to give an idea. After a lot of head scratching I finally got the joints marked and cut and then test fit.
|Four sides dry fit|
|Used a container lid for marking the curves|
The glue-up went in two stages. I'm just gluing a piece of 1/8" plywood to the bottom.
|Lots of 20° angle blocks needed for glue-up|
|Later gluing on the bottom|
|After the glue dried on the bottom, I reinforced it with 24 "tree nails",|
1/8" dowels glued into drilled holes
|Little bits glued in|
|Completed except for finishing|
|Yeah, that fuzzy stuff is mold growing in there|
|And yes, those are pink piggies on the cozy - don't ask!|