I wanted to make another Kleenex box, but using only hand tools this time and using wood that has been laying around the shop for too long. When we had a bathroom renovated a few years ago, I kept all the oak face frame wood. It had a profile on it, but I was able to get some useful wood.
|Original 3/4" face frame board on left, resawn and semi-squared useful ~5/16" boards on right|
I glued up boards to make the panels for the box.
|Two long panels in clamps|
After squaring them up, the dovetails were laid out and cut.
|Removing the waste between tails|
|Using the David Barron-inspired dovetail marking board to transfer tails to pin board|
|Knifing the pin locations|
After a little fitting, the parts were glued up.
|In the clamps|
|One corner after a little clean up|
For the top, I cut an oval shape for the tissue opening. I made a template using Sketchup, printed it out, transferred the shape to the top, then cut and smoothed the shape.
|Template on the top piece - centerlines on both the template and wood are key to alignment|
|Starting the hole with two circles that match the shape of the oval ends|
|Cutting out the waste - later smoothed and rounded with rasps, files and sandpaper|
After leveling the top edges of the box, the top was glued on with the aid of two "I-beam" shop helpers.
|Gluing the top on|
And here is the box all smoothed over, ready for finishing.
|Looks a little bland - needs some finish|
The recipient likes black things, so I'm going to ebonize this. I started a week before this with the ol' steel wool in vinegar trick. I meant to wash any oils out of the steel wool like a commenter on Ralph's blog mentioned, but forgot. This time I used apple cider vinegar. The solution looked much the same as when I used distilled white vinegar, except I didn't get the disgusting reddish brown glop this time.
|Steel wool and vinegar after about 5 days|
When I was ready to ebonize, I brewed up some oak shavings and gave the box a couple coats of hot tannin broth. I'm using Richard McGuire's method from his Side Table video series.
|I think this was after coating with tannin broth|
After a few alternate coats of tannin broth and steel wool / vinegar, this is what it looked like.
|Part way done|
When the coats had dried, I buffed with a clean cloth and the color turns a bit grayish / purplish. But a wipe of fresh broth brings out the black again.
|Buffed finish on right, new brushing of broth on left|
And here is what the box looks like after three coats of boiled linseed oil.
It has been chilly in the garage lately, so the oil is taking a while to cure. But in a couple days I'll add a coat or two of wax to shine it up. I'm happy with the way this looks, even though some oak color still shows up in the deeper pores.