Thursday, January 27, 2022

2021 Review

OK, this post is a few weeks late.  Oh, well.

It always seems that I don't get enough done.  A perpetual New Year's resolution (if I were actually to make one) is to get more done.  So I thought I'd make myself feel better and review what projects I DID complete in 2021.  This is one way that this blog helps me.  I have a horrible memory and having these things in writing helps a lot.  Here goes.

Furniture:

Oak table for next to wife's desk

Cherry demilune table for the kitchen - a very challenging project

A rustic frame for the wife

Low plant stand for the balcony - oak

Twin shoe shelves from red alder - these have been a great addition

Coat and hat rack from red alder - also a nice addition to the house

Small Items and Gifts:

Roubo phone stands - always wanted to try this

"Palm tree" swim cap drying rack for the wife

Kleenex box from sapele for my sister

Tool Rehab or Making:

Cleaned up a new-to-me Stanley #2358A miter box and saw

Reshaped the sole and rehabbed the iron on a Sandusky Tool #92 1 1/8" round plane

Finally had success making a screw-box and wooden screws.
A lot of satisfaction from this one!

Investigated and finally figured out how to bore large holes with expansive bits

Made a small Moxon vise with homemade wooden screws

Other Projects:

An experiment in shaping with this pine, poplar and oak dovetailed box


In addition to the above, this year I played around a little bit with carving.  I doubt that I'll get seriously into carving, but it was fun.  It's good to know that I can add that to future projects.

A flower carving in red alder

So what will 2022 bring?  Currently I'm working on Richard Maguire's Danish stool (with woven seat).  I hope to get into more projects that use cord, rush or other natural materials for the seat.  And, in general, I hope to get into some more general chair making.  But we'll see what happens.

8 comments:

  1. That felt good! It is satisfying seeing so many completed projects. Don't slow down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, it's good to be retired so I can spend the time doing this stuff. Hoping to keep it up.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a productive 2021. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For whatever reason, Joe, it always seems like I get much less done than I could. Maybe I'm a little too hard on myself ...

      Delete
  3. "Maybe I'm a little too hard on myself ..."
    Yes you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, blogging is a great way to have a record of what we did. You did great.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete