Thursday, July 15, 2021

Shoe Shelves, Part 3: Gluing With Hide Glue

Doing those 24 mortises by hand was a bit tiring, but it got done.  There was one more thing to do with them, though.  The tenons intersect inside the legs, so the ends of the tenons need to be chamfered.

You can see the end of the tenon inside this mortise

All 24 tenons needed to have their ends angled.  Note the labels - 
there were too many joints not to have them clearly labeled!

The first dry-fit

Marking the shelf boards' shoulders directly from the rails to which they'll be attached

And a dry-fit with the shelf boards in place
(that's 8 more m&t joints for those who are counting)

The next step was some shaping.  I put a bead on the bottom of each rail.  I just get a real kick out of using the beading plane.  Does everybody feel this way?

Using the old A.C. Bartlett's Ohio Planes 5/16" beading plane and a sticking board

I also did some shaping of the legs, but got no pictures.  The outside corners got chamfered and the bottom 4" of the inside faces were curved to make it look as if the legs kick out a bit.  You can see it in a picture below.

I did at least three dry-fits to figure out the best order to put things together.  It made the most sense for me to first attach the shelf boards to their short rails and set them aside.  Next, assemble the two front legs with their three long rails, then the two rear legs with their three long rails.  With one long rail / leg assembly flat on the bench, add the short rails and short rail / shelf board assemblies.  Finally, add the second long rail / leg assembly.

One of a few dry-fits

Gluing with hide glue (two more clamps still to be added at top) 

Cleaning some excess glue the next day

I have some experience with hide glue, but not a great amount.  For good or bad, I hate getting my hands sticky and if you use hide glue, you're going to have sticky hands.  And sticky everything else, for that matter.  I got a lot of squeeze-out and some of it I wiped away with a wet rag right away.  But for some reason I didn't do that for all joints.  Maybe it was because the clamps made it tough to get to it.  But the next day I was trying to remove the excess with a chisel and it was neither fun nor effective.  But then I remembered one of the great things about hide glue - that it is water soluble.  A toothbrush, some hot water and a rag took care of the excess.  It took a while, but the joints look good now.

Since I had gotten a lot of the project wet, I thought I'd wipe down the entire thing with a damp rag to raise the grain.  I'll lightly sand it before I start adding coats of shellac.

One last thing.  The carcase came out a little wobbly.  After clamping, I checked the top corner to corner for square and it was within almost spot on. But I didn't check the front, back or sides and something must have been amiss because one foot is about 1/32" off the table.  You would think that with all these right angle joints, the project couldn't come out anything but square!  I'll take a rasp to one of the legs to level it, but still, I'm disappointed that I didn't get it square.  It was much better during a dry-fit with clamps.

I still have to cut the top to size and put a decorative edge on it and will report on that next time.  I've got one coat of shellac on the shoe shelf now, and I've already started on the slightly smaller twin to this shoe shelf.  Things are moving along.

6 comments:

  1. Looks great. I'd be very much ok with being 1/32” out on one leg.

    Unsolicited advice: Doesn’t really matter on this piece because of all the extra support but on a standard table, for the top M&T I'd make it about half the width with a haunch for alignment. That'll leave more substance at the top of the leg and be less likely to crack in future. I tend also to mark the tops of the legs but leave them a few inches long until the glue has dried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul. I do have a haunch on the top-rail-to-leg m&t joints (see first pic above). It's only about 1/4" x 3/8". I was a little nervous about that thin end grain at top of the leg, but it has worked out so far. I do like your idea of making the haunch a bit wider, though. And the part about using extra length for the top of the legs is a good idea. I've seen that done many times, but I forget to apply that to my projects.

      Delete
  2. Hi Matt
    do you have any problems with the screw stops on the shooting board you used to plane the beads? I have two problems with mine - they either 'rive' the end or the screw wallows out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph, I haven't had the problem of splitting the end grain when using the sticking board, but that may be due to taking relatively light, controlled passes. I could see if the plane was really jamming the workpiece into the stops how that might be an issue.
      So far, the screws have been fine without enlarging the holes they are screwed into. The wood for the base of the sticking board is poplar, so not very durable. I expect that I'll have to replace it at some point - or I could just cut off the last inch and make new screw holes for the slightly shorter sticking board.

      Delete
  3. 1/32" only. That is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize now that I sounded ridiculous about the 1/32". But when it's rocking on a flat surface, it seems like so much!

      Delete