Friday, August 24, 2018

Rehabilitating an Old Oil Stone

One of the treasures from Orvil Heft's tool collection was a nice Pike's Lily White Washita oil stone.  I've never worked with oil stones, so I contacted Bob Rozaieski, who I support through his Patreon page.  Bob had some good recommendations for me and most of what I've done below incorporates his suggestions.
The stone as found
It came in its own wooden box - in fact it was glued into the box, which I thought was weird.
The inside of the box lid
The box itself was interesting.  The sides of the box were joined with tiny rabbet and dado joints that were pinned with a couple tiny nails.
One corner of the box's lid
Not every joint was still perfect ...
... and predictably with this tiny joint the dado blew out in two corners of the top
An internet search indicated that Pike's Washita stones are well thought of.  My understanding is that it's a relatively soft stone used for fast metal removal.  In 1932 Pike was bought by Norton.  Here's a great 1985 article written by Robert Topping if you want some history on Pike Manufacturing Co. and the abrasive industry in general (that's for you, Bob).

The stone was heavily dished and dirty.  And apparently it was glued into the box!  I thought maybe it was just stuck from all the muck.  But it really was glued in.  I got it out by clamping the stone in the vise and gently tapping the edge of the box until it released.
Stone clamped in vise, tapping the edge of the box with small hammer and block
Unfortunately, some of the stone stayed with the box.
The light areas show glue residue.
Side view of stone face-down on benchtop.
Notice the air space under the center of the stone - about 1/8"!
The first step in cleaning up the stone was to soak for a few days in mineral spirits to try to loosen up some grunge.
Could have used a better plastic container - this one got soft from the mineral spirits
I had read somewhere that you can roughly flatten a dished stone on a concrete block.  So I tried that, but after a few minutes, the block was smooth as a baby's butt and didn't help flattening the stone any more.
Flattening using a cinder block
After a few minutes I was still only getting the ends of the stone
After a few more minutes
I decided to face the wrath of the wife and use the driveway as a flattening stone and that worked MUCH better.  I cleaned the driveway with water several times in between rubbing sessions.
After a few minutes on the driveway
Finally got it as flat as the driveway
Then I took it inside and cleaned it off and used a coarse diamond plate to get it flatter.
I did this in the kitchen sink where I could clean away the debris often
Lookin' a whole lot better now - can see how it gets the name "Lily White"
Here's the stone standing on end in its box, looking straight down from above.
I was shocked to see a reflection off the dry stone of the red lettering in the box lid!
I guess it's pretty smooth.
The next thing I did was to boil the stone for about an hour and a half with some liquid dishwasher detergent.  This got more of the deeply embedded oils and swarf out of there.  Then I let the stones dry in the sun for a few days.

Finally,  I soaked the stone in mineral oil for a few days.
Soaking up some mineral oil
The stone should soak up some oil and hopefully that and the use of fresh oil when sharpening will keep the metal swarf from clogging the stone.

I haven't used the stone yet for sharpening - I'll do that soon and report back.

4 comments:

  1. I once wash one of my dirty oilstone in the dishwasher. I got heck for it, but it came out clean :-)
    Thanks for the link, Matt. If you want to used the dishwasher, you may want to check with SWMBO first... just saying 🤓

    Bob, who has been banned from the kitchen with my experiments, once or twice ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I had read about using the dishwasher, but thought better of it. As it was, when I boiled the stone I went to Goodwill and bought a crappy old pan for a few bucks. Good idea too, as the pan was covered in slimy oily gunk afterwards.

      Delete
  2. In old books they recommend using plaster of paris to set the stone in the box. Often the underside wasn't very flat to begin with and the plaster helped to level it out.

    BTW, I don't think you really need to soak a natural stone in oil. Just using it with oil soaks it up plenty well enough. It isn't like a man made stone that is being soaked with warm vaseline, otherwise the oil flows right through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Kees. I'd thought about using sand (or something similar) in the bottom of the box to help level or support the stone. I suppose I'll find something that works.

      The confusing thing about using the stone in a box, especially if it's plastered or glued in) is that when the stone gets worn, you can no longer flatten it when it's below the rim of the box - not that old timers worried about flattening their stones. It also gets dicey sharpening wide blades when the stone gets worn down to the level of the box.

      Delete