Friday, May 25, 2018

Make a Beading Plane

After all the time I spent comparing the three half inch beaders and then refurbishing the Ohio Tool plane, I got to thinking about whether or not I could make my own beading plane.  So I used the information I got from the three beading planes and made a drawing in Sketchup.
Sketchup model
Alternate view
Some critical dimensions of the sole:
Sole dimensions
As with the last post I didn't take any progress pics, so all these are after the fact photos.  I started by making a mock-up of the plane body from a piece of a very old 2x8 with excellent grain.
Pine mock-up
The bed angle is 50° and the breast angle is 62°.  After cutting the rabbet for the handhold, I sawed to the 50° and 62° lines with the help of a square block of wood to guide my saw and removed what waste I could.  I got that technique from an article Salko Safic wrote in Issue 3 of his "Lost Scrolls of Handwork" magazine.
Sawing to the bed and breast lines
For the mortise, I drilled a couple of holes before chiseling out the waste and tuning it with sandpaper paddles.  The sole profile was shaped similarly to the way I reshaped the Ohio Tool plane.  Except I used a grooving plane to remove as much waste as I could, then scraped the profile later.
View from the back end showing layout lines
Closer view of the sole at the heel
This came out so good it made me wish I had made a wedge and iron to see if a pine plane would work.

For the "real" plane I used poplar for the upper 90% of the body and maple for the sole.  It's not boxwood, but the maple is pretty hard and should last a while.  Both woods were in quartersawn configuration.
Rear view showing grain configuration and overall shape
Per my plan, the left side (blind) wall is 3/8" thick.  This helped when chiseling the left wall of the mortise, as I could use a 3/8" setup block to rest the chisel on to ensure I pared right to the line.
Paring the mortise wall with help from setup block
Set of brass setup blocks - these things really come in handy
I smoothed the inside of the mortise using makeshift "floats".
* Not made by Lie-Nielsen

Shaping the sole started with careful layout.
I left the layout lines on the completed plane
This next pic helps show the dimensions of the layout.
1 1/4" total width, 1/4" wide depth stop, 1/16" quirk, 7/16" wide bead, 1/2" thick fence
I first used a grooving plane to get close to the bead lines.  Then used the scraping jig that I showed in the last blog entry to get the final shape.  This needed a LOT of patience and took a while.  I also made a 3/8" thick sanding block with 3/8" diameter round-over on one edge.  The 3/8" thickness plus two thicknesses of sandpaper is still a little shy of the 7/16" bead diameter.  This gave a little wiggle room and helped ensure I didn't sand away parts that I didn't want to sand away.
Sanding block

Block in use smoothing the bead profile
Later, a shoulder plane was used to shape the quirk and depth stop.

I cut the iron from a piece of 1/8" thick O-1 steel and shaped it with files.  I later heat-treated it with a torch, quenched in oil and tempered in the oven.
Hacksawed the iron from bar stock
The wedge was made from a piece of beech and that came out nice.
Body, iron and wedge - how much simpler can it get?
I don't have a "maker's mark", but if I did it might look like this.
The poplar made it easy to stamp this into the body
Well, the proof is in the pudding.  I tested the plane in some scrap poplar and it cuts beautifully!
Test cut
Here's the funny thing about all this.  I have three very old 1/2" side bead planes that I'll probably never use for the furniture work I want to do.  So what do I do?  I make another 1/2" side bead plane!  Not certain why - I just wanted to see if I could do it.  This is a real confidence booster.  I've gotten to a point where I'm confident that if I lay out appropriately, I can saw, chisel and plane to those layout lines.  Just take it slow and I'm sure most of you could do this too, if you haven't already.

8 comments:

  1. That is so impressive!
    The plane looks incredibly good and the test cut clearly shows that it is not only fine to look at.
    I agree that at could be interesting to see if the pine body would work also, but I can't see why it shouldn't.

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jonas. When cutting the test bead, I chose a piece of poplar with the grain running in favorable directions. So that helped. But it should work OK in other woods too.

      Delete
  2. I am impressed with your plane and your alternative 'plane floats'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ralph. Yeah, the "floats" worked OK, but fortunately they didn't have to remove too much material. I'm guessing they would work much more slowly on a traditional plane wood, like beech.

      Delete
  3. Impressive indeed! Good work Matt. I have never tried, yet, to make a moulding plane, must try that that sometimes, you make it look easy :-)

    Bob, still in Buffalo for one more night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with all of the above, great job and great post. Your blog makes me want to get to the bench.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am interested in making this beading plane. I have made several (15) different types of planes so far. What I would like to know is whether you would be interested in posting the sketchup file for me to study. I would like to make this plane with one basic difference...I would make mine with a skewed iron.

    ReplyDelete