Friday, March 2, 2018

Scrap Wood Jewelry Box

I'm in the process of making another box of the type shown below, but thought I'd post this one because it came out so nice.  This box is made from pine and redwood, whereas the next one will be made from red oak and mahogany.

The design is not my own.  Salko Safic (of the Journeyman's Journal blog) recently wrote an article that he published in his magazine on the construction of the box (from a Marc Spagnuolo design).  You really should check out his magazine - it's loaded with great stuff and can be found here.  I'm also in the process of modifying my shooting board based on his plan from the mag.

Before applying finish

Used reclaimed wood - those nail holes will be covered later
I finished the box with a few coats of BLO, which nicely brought out the color of the redwood.
After finishing
I also added some of that DonJer flocking stuff to the inside of the base and that really added a nice touch.
The flocking in the box snazzed it up a bit

The box is hinged suing a simple 1/8" brass rod stuck in each end. When the red oak / mahogany box is complete, I plan to give it to my neighbors, from whom I snagged a bunch of red oak when they remodeled their kitchen.


Full disclosure: I have been doing the copy editing for Salko.  However I do that on a volunteer basis - I receive no monetary compensation.  I've got to say, Salko has been working is patutti off to get this magazine in the hands of readers.  I mean many hundreds of hours (on top of his day job)!!  If you can support his efforts, please do by purchasing his magazine!  It's well worth the price.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job!
    I just finished downloading and read the articles on that box (a must try project), the one on Simmonds and the Moisture meter.
    Good articles. Thanks for the tip, Matt

    I could only find the current version, the others were not avail?? I would be interested in getting the first 3

    Bob, doing a 5Kms walk (was supposed to be on snowshoes, but...) today in support of Kids, up & down a mountain
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. The first three issues of Salko's magazine can be found using the menu bar one his blog site. Look for the "Handwork Magazine" menu on the right (it's under the header picture and blog title). And have fun doing the walk today.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Matt
    I found and download the others.
    I was surprised and it made me smile that I was referenced by name as a tool historian and blogger in issue No 3 about the Hollows & Rounds planes sizing :-)

    Good work

    Bob, the tool historian and blogger

    ReplyDelete