Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A Case of Non-Buyer's Remorse

What An Oaf!!  I can be too cheap or too practical for my own good sometimes.

At a garage sale on Saturday, there was some kind of device that is used with a power router.  So I talked to the son of the home's owner about what type of woodworking his father had done.  After some discussion, I asked if his dad has any old planes or saws that they might want to get rid of.  The son went into the garage and returned with a very dirty old Stanley #7C with a lot of light surface rust and a very dirty Stanley #45 in it's original box.
Here's the #7 jointer plane - it's going to need some work
The jointer plane is a type 10, made from 1907-1909.  I have a Stanley #6 and a Lie-Nielsen #8, but no #7.  Did I need a #7?  NO!

Here's the thing.  I ended up buying the #7 and passed on the #45.  The #45 had most of it's parts.  I don't know these planes very well, so I'm not familiar with all the parts that should come with it, but it was missing one of the rods that attach fence to plane body.  Most, but probably not all, of the original blades were there.
Image result for Stanley #45
Photo from Supertool.com
I discussed it with my wife and basically I talked myself out of buying it.  I had read that while the #45 is a jack of all trades, it doesn't perform many of those trades exceedingly well.  BUT THE SELLER ONLY WANTED $40!!!

Over the next 24 hours I agonized over this decision and realized I should have bought it.

I'm not a tool collector, I'm a user.  So if I buy a tool, I don't need it cluttering up my way-too-small shop.  But dang it, it would have been worth it to buy the plane just to see for myself how well (or not) it can work.  And while I have planes that do some of the tasks it can do, some of its functions would be new to me.  If I didn't like it, I could sell it, probably for far more than $40.

When I left their house, the son put the #45 back in the garage.  So I thought there might be a chance it didn't get sold.  The day after the garage sale, I left a note in the mailbox at that house asking them to call me about the plane.  When my phone rang I was very excited, but the lady told me they had sold the plane.

Very disappointing.  Arrgh!!  Why do I have to be so *@!$&# cheap and practical!

10 comments:

  1. I've said it to myself several times - I shoulda bought that. BYW, St James Tool sells a lot of replacement parts for the 45.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to find replacement parts. Thanks for that company name.

      Delete
  2. Im not a tool collector, but a user. Yeah, keep telling yourself that, thats what I keep saying to myself, but then there is always the curiosity of wanting to try a tool fo myself :-)

    Not to rub it in, but... At $40 that was a steal...

    Bob, who done similar a time or two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honest, Bob, I don't have space to be a collector. Maybe someday when I live in a spacious mansion ...

      Delete
  3. I have 3 45's and 2 55's and I make all of my own molding with them. Do not believe all the repeated negative comments from none combination plane users. They take a little more time to set up than profile planes, but so do other hand tools, that is part of the attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Still more fish in the sea" and all that... No worries, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - I was just going to a fairly random garage sale. You never know ...

      Delete
  5. Hey, now you have a story about the one that got away. That's worth more than 40 bucks. When you're ready for a 45, Jim Bode will have a sweet one for you at a decent price, not 40 bucks ;), but decent.

    Take Care,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris. The one that got away ... "I swear that fish had to be 50 pounds ..."

      Delete