Friday, August 25, 2017

Made A Sticking Board

Lately I've been interested in mouldings (I can't help but use the English spelling).  And if you're interested in making mouldings, it's helpful to have a decent sticking board.

A couple years ago I made myself a very small, very rough sticking board.  I could fit a whopping 13" long board on it.
Original sticking board
The stop was a piece of plywood screwed to the left end.  The fence was a piece of pine with two slots to make it adjustable.  It had a cleat on the underside so I could fix it in the front vise.  I only used it once or twice.

To make my new sticking board, I first trued up a piece of poplar and added two thicknesses of 1/2" oak for a fence.
The new sticking board
The new board is 37" long and 7 1/4" wide.  The fence is 1" high and about 2" wide.  If I need a taller fence, I'll screw another 1/2" thick piece onto the existing fence.

On the end is a row of screws that are used as a stop.  The screws are placed 1/2" apart.  When not needed, they are screwed all the way down into countersinks.  When needed, I unscrew them a couple turns to raise them up a bit.
Screws as end stop
Two screws raised as stop for this piece of moulding stock
To keep it from moving, I fix it to the benchtop with two holdfasts and it is rock solid.
Holdfasts keep it immobile
Alternatively, I could fix it to the bench with the tail vise and a bench dog.
Holding it steady with dogs
I thought there might be times when I wanted to have the fence closer to or further from the front edge, So I made three sets of holes for the screws that attach the fence to the board.
The underside showing three rows of holes for fence location
Fence in most forward position
Some mouldings could need a profile on the far edge of the piece.  In this case, the moulding stock could be turned around and worked in the usual position on this board, or placed on the other side of the fence.
Working with moulding stock on far side of fence
I realize that the 36" capacity of this sticking board is still small.  When you want to wrap a moulding around a project, it's best to cut your moulding pieces from one long piece that was profiled as a single piece.  As I get more experience with making mouldings and actually start using them in my projects, I'll figure out what length might make more sense for me.

Here are a couple of profiles I've made so far.
Cove with fillets and ovolo with fillets
I just picked up Matt Bickford's excellent DVD "Moldings In Practice" and have been using what I've learned on some practice mouldings.  I'd been wanting to get this book or DVD for a long time.  I'll report my experiences next time.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful progress, Matt! Those are beautiful mouldings; you're well on your way.

    And your sticking board is to die for, so very nicely made. OTOH, mine is a lot rougher, but 8 feet long. :)

    If you like MB's DVD, and if you like having reference material close at hand, consider his book too. I'm sure the handy illustrations in the book are also on the DVD too, but I find them faster to access in book form.

    Keep havin' fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob. I thought for a long time about whether to get the book or DVD. I love the feel and convenience of a book in hand, but I'm also a very visual learner, so DVD it was. I'm still thinking about getting the book too - time will tell.

      Delete
  2. A great work/learning in progress!
    I mean the kind of learning when the wood start to 'talk' to us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Antonio. I think someday soon I'll be able to put it all together and start making some nice pieces.

      Delete
  3. Perfect could not make it better... except perhaps longer :-)

    Meant to do that for a while, not much to improve on your design. Thanks

    Bob, awaiting CAA tow truck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I have a feeling that I'm going to want a much longer sticking board at some point in the future. But for now, this will have to do.

      Delete
  4. Perfect could not make it better... except perhaps longer :-)

    Meant to do that for a while, not much to improve on your design. Thanks

    Bob, awaiting CAA tow truck...

    ReplyDelete