I had pre-prepared the stock for all three chairs before beginning the build. The 2" x 6" and 1" x 6" Douglas fir boards were quite furry to begin with.
|Stock started very rough|
|Back legs, backrest rails, front legs|
Yesterday, I started on the last chair. After bringing the front and back legs to final dimensions with square sides and ends, I laid out the mortises on the front legs.
|Inside faces of front legs|
|Leg shape laid out|
I'm sure I could have made relief cuts (cross-cuts in the wast down to the layout line, and used a chisel and hammer to remove the bulk of the waste. But I wanted the waste piece whole in case I needed it as a clamping caul.
The angled cuts were smoothed with a #4 1/2 and #4 and then the transitions were smoothed with a Marples (#151 style) spokeshave and card scraper, checking for square as I went.
|Leg with cutoff sections|
Tomorrow I'll get moving on laying out the back leg joinery. To be continued ...