Thursday, August 1, 2019

Garage Sale Brace and Expansion Bits

A couple weekends ago I checked Craigslist for garage sales and saw one near me that had an old hand saw in the pictures.  So I figured, maybe they had some other tools as well.  As it turned out, the saw was gone by the time I got there.  But as I usually do, I talked to the seller about my hobby and that I'm always on the lookout for old hand tools.  He said that his neighbor across the street is having a sale today too, and that he has some old tools.

So I went across the street and in the "free" bin was a not-too-old brace and a couple of expansive bits.  I don't need another brace or the bits, but I picked them up anyway - the price was right.
From the "free" bin
I'd never seen a brace with blue painted head and handle.  The only markings on the brace were:
1253TT TRU TEST
MADE IN U.S.A.
Never heard of Tru Test, so I searched the 'net a bit.  The closest thing I could find was that the Tru Test name might be associated with the True Value Hardware chain.  But what I found was for some wrenches and not for a brace.  My guess is that the brace was made for a hardware company by Stanley or some other large tool maker, I'm guessing in the '70's.

Anyway, this brace is definitely nothing special.  The jaws looked pretty sad.
I figured the spring was lost or broken
But the joke was on me!  This model has no spring at all!
The other surprising thing was that the head was not attached to the brace with screws like all the other braces I've seen.  It also didn't unscrew from the main shaft - I couldn't get it to budge at all.
The underside of the head
Even though it says "oil", there's no oil port
Well, I cleaned up all the parts and gave it a good oiling - it was really dry.  The thing operated perfectly on a test run.  So all in all, it's a good usable brace, just nothing special.

The two expansive bits were also dry as a bone - I'm sure no oil had touched them for many years.
The two bits - dirty, but little used
The one on the left is an Irwin No. 22 (possibly 22 A), U.S. of A.
On the right is an Irwin No. 2, U.S. of A.
These I put in citric acid for several hours and after clean-up they came out looking very nice.
All cleaned up
The cutting spurs were in decent shape, but the cutting lips needed a little work.  A quick sharpening and they are ready to go.

The mechanism for tightening the adjustable cutting spur is different on these than on two others I have.  The screw tightens down on a split-head to squeeze the adjustable spur in dovetailed "ways".  But you really have to crank down hard on the screws to get it tight enough for the spurs to stay put.  Previous owners didn't have properly fitted slotted head drivers, so the screw-head slots had suffered.
The heads have a relief cut to allow some flex when tightening the screw.
The other bits I own use a different (probably cheaper to make) mechanism for tightening down on the adjustable spurs.
Irwin #22 (bottom), "Clark" expansive bit from T&L Co., N.Y., and the two Irwin bits I just picked up
The T&L Co. bit has a plate that, when tightened by a screw on front, forces the adjustable spur up into a dovetailed way
The Irwin #22 has a screw on back that, when tightened, pulls the knurled adjuster wheel tight
into the adjustable spur, forcing it up into the dovetailed way
When I tried the two new-to-me Irwin bits, I had some trouble boring 1 3/4" holes.  Heck, I have trouble boring any hole using the expansive bits.  The first quarter-inch depth goes fine, then the rest is a grind.  And that's using a 12" Fray brace that is better for boring larger holes.  The ratcheting mechanism of a brace comes in handy to get more torque, but it's still quite difficult for me to bore a decent hole larger than 1".

6 comments:

  1. I've learned that expansive bits really have limited applications. They don't do well in hardwoods nor in deep holes. As you've hinted at, the screws can never compress the spur cutter tightly enough to avoid slipping; nonetheless, great finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Poto. I think like most people, I've only had a need for an expansive bit once or twice in several years. You never get enough practice with one. I did find, however, that with a reasonably well-fitting slotted driver bit in a brace, I can get the screw plenty tight. But without using it more, I may never know if that will truly keep it from slipping.

      Delete
  2. Ditto to what Potomacker said. The Irwin No 22 was the successor to the simpler No 2. Being easier to set and lock the setting. Such bits have their uses, boring odd ball sizes, replacing a few bits, but as you find out, the larger the harder, because any small tilt boring makes it harder. The brace oil port is simply to oil in between the washers. Pretty decent finds for free :-)
    Notice how clean the threads came out after its bath? Easiest way I know to salvage most gummed up threads on bits.

    Bob, in the mist of a heat wave, same one as Ralph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob. Yeah, I oiled in between the washers. I just thought it was funny that it had "oil" written without an oil port. BTW, had you ever heard of this TRU TEST name?

      Delete
  3. Not much, I believe that True-test was probably a name for tools carried by the True Value hardware chain. Not much about them on line for sure...

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be tough to find any info at all sometimes. Thanks.

      Delete