A few years ago I made three canes based on a Paul Sellers plan. They came out great and I gave them all away, so I thought I'd make another.
|Started with two pieces of cherry|
|Handle marked out|
|Testing the fit of the tenon in the mortise|
|The final shape of the handle and the handle/shaft junction|
The above picture was taken after applying one of two coats of polyurethane. I forgot to get a picture during the building process, but I added a decorative spiral to the shaft. That was done by laying out the pattern with a string wrapped around the shaft, marking a line next to the string, then removing material between the lines with rasps, files, scrapers and sandpaper.
|Looking down the shaft to see the spiral|