The top was to get two stopped dadoes to receive the sides, and a rabbet at the back for the piece that will be used to mount it to the wall. The dadoes were straight forward and went smoothly, though slowly. I was being very careful not to blow out the way-to-thin wall near the edge.
|Dadoes in underside of top complete|
|Just a quarter inch left at end of board - yikes!|
The rabbet across the back end of the top was interesting. I couldn't use a rabbet plane because the design has that thin edge (see above picture) extending all the way to the back.
|Started the rabbet by chiseling a chamfer (bevel up!)|
|Then started chopping with chisel ...|
|Chopping and paring, chopping and paring ...|
|Chopping close to the knife line - about 1 mm away|
|Removing waste with router plane|
The sides also needed a notch cut out to fit with the stopped dadoes in the top, as well as two rabbets for the back members to fit in. These rabbets were made with chisel and mallet. I did make a couple saw cuts near the layout lines to avoid removing any "keeper" wood.
|Notch in side to mate with stopped dado|
|Side joinery complete|
|Cabinet joinery fitted|
This is one of the most important lessons in woodworking. Measurements are fine for rough work, but when laying out joinery you should use actual work pieces for marking.
The next thing was shaping the sides. I needed to mark a 5" radius arc on the sides and to do this I used a large compass that I made several years ago.
|Curves added at bottom of sides|
|Top edge profile that I'm aiming for|
|On the top, 1/16" from the edge|
|On the bottom, 1/8" from the edge|
|On edges, a centerline (3/8"). Later added a 3/16" line on edges from top surface.|
And here's the profile that I'm aiming for marked on the board.
|Spelch protection clamped on left side|
|Convex curve at upper left done, concave at upper right started|
|A #6 (6/16" radius) and #8 (8/16" radius) round moulding plane|
I haven't really used these since I made them, but they worked very nicely.
|Working the hollow with a "round" plane|
I'd really like to get Bickford's book "Mouldings in Practice" and sometime soon I will. I think I could learn a lot about creating mouldings.
|Almost there ...|
|Finished with a little sanding to refine and even out the surface|
And here it is. I'm totally stoked about this!! I've done close to zero edge profiling and this is a real confidence booster.
|The profile done|
So here it is complete minus a little scraping and finishing.
Next up: some scraping and applying a finish. I'll probably be using a poly or poly/oil mix. But that will wait until next week - we're heading out for a camping trip in the Eastern Sierra and I've got a lot of preparation to do.