When cleaning the body and wedge, it was clear that the grunge was shellac, as alcohol and steel wool cleaned it off with a bit of rubbing. Everything got sticky before it eventually got smooth.
|Cleaning up the body - looking far better|
|Can now see the stamped mark much better|
|And on the heel is the number "2"|
|Bed is at bottom in this pic, cheeks at sides in this pic. See the added shim on the bed near the mouth?|
|In front of mouth|
|Marking the sole|
|After just a few swipes, showing spots that are still low|
And here she is with the body and wedge all cleaned up. I gave it a couple coats of BLO and let it sit for several days.
|Wood parts all cleaned up|
|The pre-clean picture for comparison|
|Growth rings running almost vertically.|
The iron and chip breaker cleaned up pretty well. I used sandpaper, followed by a citric acid bath for 3-4 hours and then some more sanding.
|Breaker cleaned up|
|Iron cleaned up|
|Front of iron filed on top and right|
|Marking the flat side|
|After rubbing on coarse sandpaper adhered to plate glass|
|The marked areas are VERY low|
|Adding back bevel|
|This is not the bevel side of the iron - this is a small back-bevel|
|Here's the back bevel viewed at an angle|
The chip breaker cleaned up pretty well, but the edge where it contacts the iron needed some extra work. I did this on a diamond stone with the back of the breaker on the table and the front on the stone. This gives just about the proper angle to work with.
|Cleaned up the edge of the breaker|
So I made a block that would cradle the back end of the iron and hold it steady while grinding the back-bevel. The recess holds the iron 11/16" off the table.
|Cradle to hold the iron steady while grinding|
|The cradle in use|
|This looks like the bevel, but it's a back bevel|
|Now that's thin!!!|