Thursday, September 5, 2024

Making a Schwarz "Short Back" Chair, Part 4

The trials with the prototype arm bow gave me some confidence in making the real arm bow.  I had originally drawn the arm bow on a big piece of paper, but I knew that wouldn't be good enough to cut out a template from.  So I went to the craft store and bought a $2 piece of thin translucent plastic that would be thick enough to use.  This was the first time I used this stuff and it worked well.  I drew the shape with a large homemade compass and a sharpie marker, then cut out the shape with scissors.

Two planks that will make the four pieces for the arm bow.
This used to be a cutting board that someone was getting rid of.
These started about 1 1/8" thick, planed down to 7/8".

Here's the template laid out on a blank.
The pencil is in the area marked out for the lap joint.

I cut the parts out a bit oversized for later trimming.
Here's the lower part of the arm bow ready to be half-lapped

And then the upper piece will be glued on

The lap joints came out good and tight and I got to use a plane that I bought early on in my hand tool life and rarely use - the shoulder plane.  A nice plane, but probably not one of my smarter purchases.
Marked the waste carefully to avoid mistakes

Squaring an end of the left arm and then of the center piece

Using that squared end to mark the half lap on the center piece

Then sawed away the waste ...

... and cleaned up the surface with router plane.
There's an off-cut supporting the cantilevered end of the router plane.

Using the shoulder plane to get a nice straight, square shoulder

Then, using the first half of the joint to mark for the second half 

  Gluing one of the half laps.  Note I didn't use the special clamp
blocks that I posted about earlier.  Rather, I just canted the clamps a bit
to help pull the joints tight.  It worked well enough.

And after planing the lap joints flush, here's gluing on the upper piece

After the glue dried, I shaved down to the lines and cleaned up the arm bow.  The next step is boring the holes in arm bow and seat, but I'll wait until next time to cover that.


No comments:

Post a Comment