Sunday, August 2, 2020

Found: Large Blanket Chest, Part 2

This is a continuation of the last post, in which I described a chest I found on the street.

With the exception of the bogus piano hinge (I would have preferred three beefy solid brass hinges), there was some cool hardware.  First up is the lock.
The lock from outside - unfortunately no key
Lock from inside - mostly solid brass
Lock removed showing mortise
Overshot knife-lines used to lay out the mortise (can see
them on the edge as well)

The catch for the lock, mortised into the lid - solid brass
Excavations were cut with a very small gouge to accommodate the peened(?) catch backs
There were solid brass handles on each end (very tarnished)
Solid brass lid stay
The wood used was red alder, which I think is a very beautiful wood.  I don't know if the finished used on the chest was yellowish at the start, or if it yellowed over time.  Either way, it's a shame to cover up the beauty of this diffuse porous wood.
End grain (and some 45° grain) from a piece I cut, planed and chamfered
I don't know what type of glue was used to put this together, but it was very easy to take apart.  It may have been hide glue, judging from some crystalline remains inside the plugged screw holes.  The chest may have been left outside, which would have affected the glue strength.  Even so, it looked like the glue was used very sparingly.

After taking it apart, I've got a nice pile of lumber that I can do something with.  There are seven 5-foot long boards that are 7.5" to 10" wide, as well as a couple narrower 5-footers and several shorter pieces.
Can't wait to put this to good use
All for now.  Catch you next time.

9 comments:

  1. Nice wood for sure. Perhaps a locksmith may be able to make you a new key? I know its not the flat types of today's but who knows.
    If you already have a similar key he could re-key it??

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My town used to have a locksmith that had a lock museum in their shop, but they moved a couple years ago. They would be the right people to ask about this and I am hoping to find them.

      Delete
  2. Matt,

    You were correct, nice hardware. I've only used Alder on one project but I will use more in the future. It is pretty and also easy to work. The only downside is it is soft.

    Good find,

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't realize how soft until it was pointed out to me in a blog comment several months ago. I had made my wooden try, jack and smooth planes with it. So far so good, but I know they may not last like some other woods.

      Delete
  3. I am amazed to see what people can throw away. Apparently this has been hand made, using a nice solid wood and nice hardware and as such needed a good bunch of hours of work, but still it finishes on the street as a piece of scrap.

    Good catch!

    Lionel who will have flowers coming out of his ears if he still do gardening anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lionel - long time no read. I don't know if it's mainly an American thing to throw out such items - we are probably the most wasteful society the world has ever seen - or if other developed countries do the same. It is a shame, though. Oh well, at least it was to my benefit this time.

      Delete
    2. These days I do not spend much time in the shop, mainly working, and doing landscaping in my garden, but one day I will be done and will get back to serious things. Or the garden would have been tougher than myself :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Always good to keep your eyes open.

      Delete