Friday, May 4, 2018

Spoon From a Chair Spindle

Some people have the ability to look at a piece of wood and imaging what can be made from it.  I'm not usually one of those people.  But a few months ago I saved a chair from going in a landfill - I mainly wanted the wooden seat for a project - and saw something else useful.
Three of the spindles from the chair's back
Not certain if "spindles" is the correct term for these, but they had a nice curvature to them and I thought spoons could be made from them.  So I gave it a try.
Shows where the spoon blank came from
I used an existing wooden kitchen spoon to mark out the shape and started cutting, gouging, scraping and sanding.
The spoon with another "blank" below it
I worked on the bowl for a long time until I was happy with the thinness.  I've only made one spoon before and its bowl was far too bulky.
Thar' she blows!
I slopped a couple coats of mineral oil on it for a finish.  We've already used it several times in the kitchen and it feels good in the hand. Take that, landfill!

No comments:

Post a Comment