Part 2 of this series is here.
To flatten the sole, I first mark lines across it, with special attention near the mouth.
|Sharpie marks on entire sole|
|Extra marks near mouth|
|Getting any air bubbles out from under the sandpaper|
After a few strokes on the sandpaper (I started with 80 and 100 grit paper), you get an idea of what you're up against.
|As expected, hollow in the center, especially in front of the mouth|
|After a bit more sanding: hollow in front of mouth and low spot at toe|
|I'll take that - looks pretty good|
|Still a few thin lines running lengthwise, but they won't affect planing. I'm calling this good.|
As for the iron, it was dirty and had a little rust, but it cleaned up easily with sandpaper and/or wire wheel. Flattening the back took a while, but eventually I got it.
|After some work on the coarse diamond stone, you can see the outsides are not being reached|
|Progressing, but still not there|
The edge was WAY out of square and the bevel was shaped poorly. I ground it with the hand-crank grinder to get it close before sharpening on the diamond stones.
|Something odd here|
It took several iterations working with the iron and the cap-iron to get them to mate properly, but eventually they came together gap-free.
The next and last part of this restoration will be about fixing the broken tote.