Friday, December 1, 2017

Bistro Table, Part 2: Mitered Bridle Joints

Since the last post, I decided to take the plunge and go with the mitered bridle joints rather than standard bridles.  Today's post is about making them.

Recall that the mating pieces of the bridle joint will look like this:
The test joint
As always, successful joinery starts with careful layout.  I had stock accurately dimensioned and squared to 1" thick and 2" wide.

Making the tenon piece:

I started by marking the depth line on one edge of the tenon piece directly from the mating piece.
Marking the end of the bridle tenon with a light knife line
I used a square to guide the knife to deepen the line (and to put the bruising from the knife on the waste side), only marking where the tenon waste will be cut away.

Then I marked the 45° line that would define the tenon shoulder.
Lined up the combination square's blade with the corner of the workpiece
Seeing the corner well enough to judge how well the combination square lined up was challenging,
so I placed a piece of white paper underneath, which allowed better viewing
To mark the thickness of the tenon, I'm using a technique I just learned from Paul Sellers.  He uses a router plane with a fixed setting to mark the workpiece.


Marking the tenon thickness using a router plane
The same router setting is used to mark the mortise piece, but I"ll get to that later.  Next was to saw the 45° shoulders.
Chiseling out a channel for the saw to ride in
After sawing the shoulders, split off most of the waste ...
... pared close to the lines ...
... then used the router plane with the fixed setting to get exactly to the lines
Cleaned the shoulders with a freshly sharpened chisel
Et voila - the tenon piece is born
Cheek is a little rough - I need to pay more attention to grain direction when using the router plane

Making the mortise piece:

Decision time: do I make the 45° miter cut first, or saw and chop out the mortise first on a square workpiece?  I tried both ways, but in the end it seemed easier and faster to saw the miter first.  However most pictures below are from the "miter-last" method.

The mortise extent was marked the same way as the tenon had been marked, using the mating piece to get an exact line.  The 45° miter was marked in the same way as the tenon, too.  I used the router plane to mark the mortise thickness (same fixed setting as before).

This picture shows the mortise marked on a piece where I made the mortise first and sawed the miter later
I sawed the mortise walls and then chopped out the waste with a chisel.
Chopping out the waste
The key to getting this accurate is to have a helper piece to guide the paring of the mortise walls.  I prepared a piece with the same 1" thickness as my workpieces and formed a tenon with the exact same thickness as my mitered tenons.
Helper piece on left
This piece can be used as a guide to pare the mortise walls.
This piece can be used to guide a chisel to pare exactly to the layout lines
Holding the chisel tight against the helper ensures the right fit
Still needed some minor paring to tune the fit
Then I sawed to the 45° lines ...
... and cleaned up the end grain on the shooting board
I only got one picture of the "miter first, mortise second" method.  You'll have to use your imagination, but at least I got this one.
Using the router plane to mark the mitered end of a mortise piece 
I'm very happy with how these joints came out.  I got good, tight, square joints.
Dig it!  Good joint line and nice fitting tenon in the mortise
And they came out fairly (not perfectly) square
Next time I'll get into the shaping of these pieces and the undercarriage glue-up.

4 comments:

  1. Mitered bridle joints simply look great!
    I have used them for making frames for chest lids of various sizes.
    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonas. They came together better than I anticipated. And in this case I think they look better than standard bridles.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Matt. Mitered bridle joints look good and they are also strong. Did you use a wedge in the open mortise when trimming the cheek walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ralph. Good question about the wedge - I saw Sellers doing that after I had completed mine and would not have thought about that. So that the vise would not close up the open-ended mortise, I used a spacer block in the vise that was exactly the 1" thickness of the mortise stock. There's a picture of it above (second pic in the "mortise" section), though I'm not paring in that pic. There was probably still a little deflection of the mortise wall, as I still had to do some minor paring by hand after using the paring jig. I always seem to get a little hump in the mortise walls that needs paring.

      Delete