|Notice the temperature at bottom of this gauge in the rental car|
|View of the Badwater area of Death Valley from Dante's View|
|The arrow points to the sign that reads "SEA LEVEL"|
Enough of that, time to get back to woodworking stuff.
A couple years ago I bought an Ohio Tool #96 wooden screw arm plow plane off Craigslist for $45.
|At one time owned by H. L. Allen|
This post will show what I did to fix the plane a couple years ago. Warning - some parts of this post are not for the squeamish. Succeeding posts will show the further work I need to do to get it working properly (hopefully).
First is the fence assembly. The screw arms are attached to the fence with screws from below.
|The fence and screw arm assembly|
|Screws go through bottom of fence and into the screw arm posts|
|Broken post at bottom of pic|
|The parts clamped up with the glue expanding in the joint|
|Arrow points to hole in top of screw arm post|
The second and much larger problem I'm sure most readers noticed already. On both wooden screws, several threads were damaged or missing where the screw begins from the post. (See pics of the broken screw arm above.) I didn't notice this when I bought the plane because the wooden nuts were covering that area and I was not diligent enough to check. This got me into a long sidebar of trying to make wooden screws to replace this - not a very successful set of experiments.
Some options were
- Make a big fat auxilliary fence that attaches to face of existing fence, bypassing the damaged and missing threads - didn't seem optimal
- Rebuild the threads on the existing screws - no idea how this might be done
- Make new screw arm assemblies - that's the screw-making rabbit hole I mentioned above
- Ditch the screw arms and make a wedge arm - didn't really want to do this
- Cut out the damaged thread area and dowel the screw arm back together
Well, the last option was the winner and it came out remarkably well. I cut out about 1 3/8" of damaged area from each screw.
|Cut out the damaged section and drilled holes for a dowel in mating parts|
I did my best to drill the holes in the right location and straight. In retrospect, I can think of ways to do this more accurately, but it came out pretty good.
|Dowel in place, later glued and clamped|
|They're 1 3/8" shorter, but no one will ever know|
Another problem had to do with the depth adjuster lock mechanism. The lock mechanism is a thumb screw that threads directly into the wooden plane body and the threads were mostly dust.
|Depth adjustment assembly|
|Mortise for the top part of the adjuster - locking thumb screw seen at bottom of photo|
|The stripped hole for the locking screw|
I drilled the hole out, glued in some wood plugs, re-drilled an appropriately sized hole, and used the thumb screw to thread its way into the hole.
|It's not pretty, but works perfectly|
|Thumb screw in place|
There are some other problems with this plane that I'll address in a future post.