I started by finding a piece of red oak that had once been a frame member for a bathroom cabinet. After squaring it up (it was bowed pretty seriously along its length), it was about 11/16" thick, 3 1/2" wide and 26" long. For the frame I needed two pieces about 10" long and two more about 12" long. Each would be about 7/8" wide. I would get one 10" and one 12" member from each side of the board.
The first thing to do was to cut rabbets that would eventually accept the glass, the photo and the backing after the frame is assembled. The rabbets were to be 3/8" wide and 3/8" deep.
|Rabbets laid out and cutting started|
In any event, the first rabbet went OK using the Record #778 with one annoyance. I was getting a lot of clogging in the throat of the plane.
|Clogging in the throat|
|Completed rabbet (ignore screw holes - most will be in scrap areas)|
|Board clamped in a sash clamp which is clamped in a vise|
|Layout of the second rabbet|
|Second rabbet complete|
|My miter cutting board is looking a bit ragged|
|Cutting one 45° end|
|Shooting the sawn miter|
Well, even though the shooting board's miter fence seems to be spot on 45°, when I mated two trimmed pieces together they made an angle greater than 90°. Should have taken a picture here. To adjust this I needed to cut a bit more off the internal corner of each miter and to do that I placed a paper shim between the frame member and the 45° fence.
|Paper shim in place to cut more off internal corner|
For glue-up, I did a practice run with some scraps. I'm using twin splines to strengthen the joints. The depth of the spline cut was marked and the kerfs cut.
|Note the lines - you don't want to cut too deep and get into the rabbet!|
|One thin spline and one thick spline|
|Another view of two different thickness splines|
|Last two corners glued up|
Next time I'll be better at the shooting board trimming and I think it'll come out much better. Looking forward to that. Good thing this was just practice.