Wednesday, August 12, 2026

A Few More New-To-Me Tools

Last post I wrote about buying several tools from the widow of a woodworker who, after several months of grieving, was ready to let go of her husband's tools.  On a separate occasion, I got a few more things from her and this post shows them.

A few more new-to-me items

I already have a pair of mag goggles (though I can't seem to find them right now), but these had an extra lens that pivots in front of the right eye for extra magnification.  This pair does not have a light like my other pair, but it'll be nice to have the extra lens for looking at finer things.  It's already helped me get a better view of cutting edges.

I also already have a set of brad point bits, though my set only has 7 bits - 1/8" to 1/2" by 16ths.  This new set goes from 1/8" to 1/2" in 64ths, and already it has come in handy when I had to drill a 15/32" hole.  The set looks to be in great shape.  They had been used, but probably not too much.

A nice complete set of brad point bits

I had been looking for a circular (or "compass"? - not sure of the correct term) plane for the last year or two.  When I saw this one in the man's collection, I really hoped I could get it.

Stanley #20

View from above the front portion

It's a bit grungy and has some issues, but I'll clean it up and get it working.  Can't wait to try it out.

Finally, I picked up a book that looked interesting.  It's "Shoji and Kumiko Design, Book 1: The Basics", by Desmond King.  I had experimented with Kumiko a few years ago and enjoyed it.  And I recall seeing King's name when I was researching Kumiko at that time.  This book will give me some more information to continue with the techniques.

Desmond King's Book 1 on Shoji and Kumiko

That's all for now.  I've got some tools to clean up, materials to read, and some woodworking to get to.

4 comments:

  1. That's a nice buy. The circular or compass plane, both terminologies are correct, is one of those planes you hardly reach out for, but in my opinion, worth having around. When I did that small table, "sofra", it would've come in handy. A spokeshave works well, but it won't keep round flat, if you know what I mean. So, many people say don't waste your money on a circular plane, but if it's a bargain, why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it wasn't really a bargain - I paid the going rate. As much as I love using a spokeshave, I've always had a tough time getting smooth, square cuts on inside curves.

      Delete
  2. I would be interested to know what you think of that book. I was looking for kumiko books and that one was recommended but I remember it wasn't available at the library or easy to find. Another book I got at the library was underwhelming d/t reliance on a table saw. James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I've only had a cursory review of the book so far, but I think it'll be a good one. I will say that the majority of the book is about shoji (screens, doors, windows with translucent paper), but the shoji include kumiko patterns and he goes into depth on some of the patterns, including the jigs that help along the way. Part 1 of the book, the first 45 pages, is about the Japanese tools he uses - planes, hammers, saws, chisels - but he notes in the book that you can use "Western equivalents". Part 2 is about shoji. Apparently shoji includes kumiko patterns in it's design, as opposed to kumiko being a separate thing. I've seen very little mention of power tools so far, though he does make a comment in a section called "Preparing the Timber" that when milling the timber on machinery, cut slightly oversize. So there is mention of power tools, though it's certainly not required. I think it will prove to be a great book to have for getting into kumiko. Hope that helps.

      Delete